UNDERSTANDING NASAL CONGESTION
Nasal congestion is the result of the blockage of nasal passage mostly due to the nose lining membranes becoming swollen. Nasal congestion is also known as blocked nose, plugged nose, nasal blockage, stuffy nose and nasal obstruction. Nasal congestion is one of the symptoms of allergies and cold that is worrisome. A lot of people don’t know what nasal congestion is. Therefore, they misunderstood it to be a result of excess mucus that is trying to flush out. In truth, nasal congestion is caused by swelling of blood vessel lining the nasal cavity, mostly as a result of inflammation.
Nasal inflammation is mostly caused by the response of the body to foreign agent that wants to invade the body. When the body detects foreign agents, it begins to send cells that can attack those foreign agents. The substances secreted by the cells to attack the invaders causes the inflammation and as a result, blood vessels lining your nose swell up. Inflammation of sinus and nasal are the result of activities of the immune system of the body.
THE CAUSES OF NASAL CONGESTION
Many things can cause nasal congestion; they include;
- Common cold or influenza
- Devastated septum
- Reaction to a medication
- Hay fever
- Rhinitis medicamentosa: A particular condition known as rebound nasal congestion caused by the use of topical decongestant like; phenylephrine, oxymetazoline, naphazoline nasal spray, and zylometazoline.
- Invasion may also cause the blood vessels in the nasal passage inflammation.
- Sinus infection
- Nasal polyps
- Due to increase amount of blood running through the body, a pregnant woman can suffer from nasal congestion
- Empty nose syndrome
Whatever cause nasal congestion, the symptom can be a painful one.
HOW TO SOLVE NASAL CONGESTION PROBLEM AT HOME?
There are various remedies for nasal congestion, but here are the best remedies that can help you;
- Breathe in the steam from a pot on your stove
- Use a vaporizer or humidifier
- Drink a lot of fluid that can thin out your nasal mucus and may prevent you from blocked nose
- Use unmedicated salt water to prevent your nasal passage from drying
- Use saline nasal spray
- Use alpha-adrenergic agonists
- If an infant can’t breathe very well because of a plugged nose, use a nasal aspirator to remove the mucus.
- Use inhaler
Nasal congestion can be annoying, but if you can use the above remedies, you will get relief and live a healthy life.